Thursday, August 25, 2005

Rob Rossi: Haggans on Verge of Breakout Season


By Rob Rossi
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 25, 2005

This time last year, Steelers outside linebacker Clark Haggans was sidelined with a fractured hand, an injury he suffered as the result of an offseason weightlifting accident.
It wasn't exactly the way he wanted to begin his first season as a starter.
This year, Haggans' hand is healthy.

So too, is his game, which has provided a spark to the first-team defense.

Haggans' solid play during the preseason could be a precursor to a breakout season. Similar to fellow linebacker James Farriors' All-Pro performance last season.

"I don't know about that," Haggans said Saturday night after he recorded a highlight-reel sack of Dolphins quarterback Gus Fererotte. "I'm just trying to do what I can to help the defense."
There remains little doubt Haggans can elevate his game to level of Farrior's and Pro Bowl outside linebacker Joey Porter.

Farrior, for one, believes Haggans is on his way.

"Clark is a guy who has no end to his motor. He's always going to work hard and you know what you're going to get from him every time," Farrior said. "I'm sure he's due for a great year."
Haggans recorded six sacks and 30 solo tackles last season, but his production waned during the second half of the season.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher said Saturday he is counting on Haggans' quick start to result in a more consistent regular season.

"I feel a lot more comfortable this year than I did this time last year because this time last year, the question was still out there: Can I play?" Haggans said. "I had hurt my hand and didn't have a lot of time to practice -- it was just one of those things where I was working on things and trying to get better.

"Last year was my first year starting and I wasn't really sure what to expect. I had a different approach going from special teams to starting football games. I had to get adjusted to it.
"Now, it's one of those things that I know what to expect going into this season."
Farrior agrees.

Farrior said his better understanding of the Steelers' 3-4 scheme played a factor in his breakout season.

"Getting comfortable in this defense just comes with getting a year older in this defense and being a year wiser," Farrior said. "Clark's really coming into his own right now."

If Haggans is coming into his own, then a trip to Hawaii might not be out of the question.
"I don't know if this is my time," Haggans said. "I just know I've got to go out, do what the coaches say, do my job successfully and keep pushing forward.

"I'm just glad that I'm healthy right now with my hand. I can play the piano again, so I'm alright."

Rob Rossi can be reached at rrossi@tribweb.com or (412) 380-5635.


Today's Most-Read Articles
1. Haggans on verge of breakout season
2. Former McKeesport stars fighting for roster spots
3. Notebook: Dog days of training camp are over
4. Malone, Penguins still apart on negotiations
5. Notebook: Orpik doesn't have contract demands

No comments: