Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Joe Bendel: Randle El hopes to stay


Joe Bendel
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 1, 2006

It was fitting that Antwaan Randle El spent Tuesday afternoon at Wal-Mart, where the ad campaign features a commitment to "rollback" prices.

That's because the dynamic wideout said he is willing to rollback his price for the Steelers -- provided they come close to matching an offer made by another team during the free-agency period, which could be delayed from its scheduled starting date of Friday.

"If (the Steelers) are a million dollars off, that's not enough to make me leave," said Randle El, who greeted more than 1,500 fans at the Robinson Township Wal-Mart to autograph Warner Home Video's 2006 Super Bowl XL Champions DVD. "If I'm the No. 2 receiver and the punt returner, and, certainly, I have the opportunity to play, then a million-dollar difference won't make me leave here. Why would I want to move my family if I didn't have to?"

Randle El said he and the Steelers have talked, but "we're not there yet."

"It goes back to what they can spend without breaking the team," he said. "I'm not certain they'll be able to do it. If it works out, it works out. If it doesn't, it doesn't. We'll see."

The reality is, Randle El could receive offers that far outweigh what the Steelers are willing to pay, given salary cap restraints and the like. He said 10 to 12 teams could show interest in him at the start of the free-agency silgning period and that he plans to use his ability to return punts (he took two back for touchdowns last season) as a selling point if he hits the market.

He surely increased his stock in Super Bowl XL in Detroit, where his 43-yard touchdown pass to Hines Ward not only sealed a 21-10 victory but also upped his passing totals to 15 of 18 for 171 yards with three touchdowns.

"You have to take the punt returns into account when you're making deals," said Randle El, who had 35 catches for 558 yards (15.9 average) with a touchdown last season, while also averaging 10.2 yards on 44 punt returns. "I'm blessed that I have that (bargaining chip)."

Randle El pointed out that not all No. 2 wideouts come cheap. He mentioned the $13.5 million signing bonus Reggie Wayne recently received with the Indianapolis Colts. Not that Randle El was suggesting that he deserves Wayne money -- though he does have that previously stated bargaining chip.

"I'm saying you still get decent money as the No. 2 guy," said Randle El, who might have a hard time getting big money from the Steelers because the team used a $9 million signing bonus on Hines Ward in August. "But it's extra incentive when it comes to returns. I returned two last year for touchdowns, and that was big on my part."

Among the teams interested in Randle El are his hometown Chicago Bears, the Washington Redskins and the Philadelphia Eagles.

And, while going home to Chicago might be somewhat appealing, Randle El said he would be more interested in getting a chance to play for an up-and-coming Bears team in a significant role.

"The attractive thing is, they don't have a punt returner," Randle said. "I think they cut their punt returner last year after our game. And, they want a No. 2 receiver. Certainly, I can play on the other side of Mush (Muhsin Muhammad) and be able to make some plays. But that can happen anywhere. In Washington, I could be on the other side of Santana (Moss). There are 10 or 12 teams that I can name that need a punt returner and a No. 2 guy."

Randle El added that he'd prefer not to sign with a team that is in rebuilding mode.

"I'm not into that," he said. "I don't want to go anywhere where I'm losing a bunch. That's not what I want. We won the Super Bowl and have been in the playoffs in three of the four years that I was here. I wouldn't want to go where we weren't winning like that. Those are the teams that know that they have to jump higher than normal (in offering a contract) because it's not a great thing when you go to a losing organization."

The Steelers used their second-round draft pick on Randle El four years ago, selecting him ahead of Pitt's Antonio Bryant, who is also an unrestricted free agent this year and recently stated he would be interested in playing for the Steelers. Randle El, a quarterback at Indiana University, has 162 career catches for 2,012 yards with seven touchdowns during his Steelers career. He's also returned 168 punts for an average of 9.5 yards and four touchdowns.

Randle El has developed a strong bond with the Rooney family during his tenure here, but he understands that business and sports can be mutually exclusive.

"It's tough, but we have an understanding between me and the Rooneys that if it doesn't work out, they wish me the best," Randle El said. "There are no ill-feelings or hard feelings. I've tried to be gracious. They said they're going to make a push for me, and I respect that and I want it to work out here and not go anywhere else. But at the same time, I'll have to look into other opportunities if it doesn't work out."

Joe Bendel can be reached at joecbendel@aol.com or (412) 320-7811.

No comments: