Friday, August 04, 2006

Penguins, Lange agree to 1-year deal


Lange agrees to one-year radio contract, to describe hockey action for 31st season

Friday, August 04, 2006
By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A humble and somewhat humbled Mike Lange agreed to a one-year contract yesterday to become the radio voice of the Penguins.

It will mark the 31st year Lange has announced Penguins hockey.

Lange was fired as the team's television voice June 29 by FSN Pittsburgh, which owns the Penguins television rights. He was immediately replaced by Paul Steigerwald, who had been the team's radio voice. The Penguins, who had been aware of FSN's intentions and did not strenuously object, used the opportunity to bring Lange back to radio, where he started with the team.

"I'm grateful for the opportunity to get back in the booth and do some broadcasting, something I've done my whole life," Lange said. "I had to make a major decision whether to stay in it or not. Obviously, we're going to give it a go for at least one more year."

The firing of Lange stunned his legion of supporters, to whom he had acquired legendary status as the longtime voice of the Penguins. In the pre-Mario Lemieux days, Lange often was the best thing the team had to offer. He played a large role in educating Pittsburgh fans to the sport.

FSN had hoped Lange would immediately accept the radio job and defuse any backlash. But during Lange's delay in accepting the job, FSN heard from his fans.

The decision by the Penguins to offer Lange only a one-year contract was a surprise.

"It was their decision," Lange said. "That's what they wanted. What can I say? I had to do what they wanted. There was not a lot of room for negotiation. I'm grateful for the chance. It keeps me in hockey for this year. It's a chance to work in radio. I've loved that."

Lange said that he knew from an early age he wanted to be a sports broadcaster.

"I've been very fortunate in my life to do something that I don't consider work. Not many people can say that. The broadcasting game is something I love. I loved it from the time I was 9 years old."

Lange knew his calling in the late 1950s, when the New York Giants moved to San Francisco, near where Lange was growing up. Russ Hodges and Lon Simmons were the Giants announcers.
"I'd lay in bed listening to the games on my transistor radio like a lot of kids. I knew that's what I wanted to do. Lon Simmons was one of my favorites. So was Bill King [a well-known announcer in the Bay Area]."

Lange will work with Phil Bourque, a member of the Penguins two Stanley Cup championship teams who will be returning for his third season in the booth.

"I look forward to working with Phil and teaching him," Lange said. "He's hungry to learn."

Although details have not been finalized, the Penguins will have a new flagship station this season. They are about to renew their contract with Clear Channel but will move from WWSW-FM (94.5), where they've been since 1999, to WXDX-FM (105.9), which brings a more youthful demographic to the broadcast.

The games also will continue to be carried on AM by Fox Sports Radio 970.

Lange is looking forward to his 31st year.

"I have to put the headset back on and get in the booth," he said. "I ain't dead yet."

(Bob Smizik can be reached at bsmizik@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1468. )

No comments: