Thursday, May 01, 2008

STAYING POWER

JAGR SURGE MAY BE MORE THAN FINAL FLING

By Larry Brooks
New York Post



NEW YORK - APRIL 29: Jaromir Jagr #68 of the New York Rangers reacts to his goal to tie the score in the second period against the Pittsburgh Penguins during Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals of the 2008 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Madison Square Garden on April 29th, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

May 1, 2008 -- I ASKED Jaromir Jagr to tell me that I was wrong, and boy did he ever. I think.

I asked No. 68 if it is wrong to interpret the fire, passion and anger he's demonstrated the last two games - as exemplified by the way he twice shouted down Sidney Crosby on Sunday, then scolded Marian Hossa for diving in Game 3 before once again raging at Crosby during a third-period review - as evidence that he has made the decision to retire as an NHL player and thus sees this as a last opportunity that is irretrievably slipping away.

Jagr, who has played a public game of riddle-me-this about his intentions, used that question as an opportunity to launch a remarkable soliloquy about both his state of mind and the state of his game.

It was a passionate defense against the criticism he received during this season in which he recorded the fewest goals (25) of his 17-year career and the fewest points (71) over a complete season since his 1991-92 sophomore year. It was Jagr, a dominant force throughout the playoffs and by far the Rangers' best player, saying everything he probably wanted to say throughout the year but did not. It was Jagr, proud and defiant and thoughtful in front of a packed house of reporters.

"You have to understand, there are a million people who can criticize me for whatever reason, but if you look at hockey history, how many players stay at the same kind of level at my age for 80 games?" Jagr, who turned 36 in January, wanted to know. "It's not that you don't want to, of course I wish I could play every game like the playoffs, but it is impossible to stay at that level for 20 years.

"People remember you at that level, and even though you still produce, they are going to say you don't have it anymore. Even the greatest players - Wayne Gretzky - did he get 200 points at age 36? But you do it once and people expect the same. It's impossible."



NEW YORK - APRIL 29: Jaromir Jagr #68 shoots against Marc-Andre Fleury #29 of the Pittsburgh Penguins during the first period of Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals of the 2008 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Madison Square Garden on April 29th, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Gretzky, in fact, recorded 97 points while leading the NHL with 72 assists during the 1996-97 season in which he turned 36. Of course Jagr is correct. No one is what he was forever. At the same time, this time around Jagr was 25 points less than he was just last season.

"When a guy gets older, you have to pick the time that's important for you," Jagr said. "You can let people criticize you for not being great, but you know you're going to be good. Maybe I would have been able - I'm not sure - maybe I could get 100 points and 50 goals, but then nobody could guarantee I would be healthy for the playoffs. What if I hit the wall? Then it would all be for nothing.

"I know how I have to play. Maybe people won't agree with me. I understand that. But how many people have been in the same position? Not many. You have to do it night after night for such a long time and when you don't produce to the level everyone expects, you're bad, but if you do, that's [just] what you are.

"There's no [way to win]," Jagr said. "It's fine with me. I love it. I love to be on the ice. I'm not going to change. That's what drives me."

So is he coming back? Is he going to Omsk? Was he saying yes, no or maybe?



NEW YORK - APRIL 29: Jaromir Jagr #68 of the New York Rangers fights for possession of the puck against Ryan Whitney #19 of the Pittsburgh Penguins during Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals of the 2008 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Madison Square Garden on April 29th, 2008 in New York City. The Penguins won the game 5-3 and lead the series 3-0. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

A few minutes after concluding his soliloquy, Jagr called me over to his stall.

"What was that question at the start you asked?" he said, obviously knowing exactly what it was. "Larry, if I knew this was the end, why would I care so much? I would pat [the Penguins] on the back and tell them, 'Good play . . . good luck.' Come on."

Yesterday, I asked Jagr to tell me that I was wrong.

He did. I think.

larry.brooks@nypost.com

No comments: