Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Wilson ponders separation from Bucs

By Rob Biertempfel
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/
Tuesday, September 23, 2008


The Pirates Jack Wilson tosses baseballs to the fans at PNC Park Sunday. This may be the final year for the Buccos shortstop.
Philip G. Pavely/Tribune-Review file


In the worst season of Jack Wilson's career, this may be his final week in a Pirates uniform.

It began with a calf injury that cost him six weeks of the season. Later, he missed a week with a sore shoulder. Wilson has not played shortstop since Aug. 31, when a bad-hop grounder fractured his index finger.

Any chance the Pirates had of finishing at .500 evaporated in July, when Jason Bay and Xavier Nady were traded. Wilson likely will be the next veteran out the door as management continues to reshape the roster this offseason.

"There's probably a good chance they'll want to go in another direction (at shortstop)," Wilson said. "It's been on my mind a lot. I'm preparing either way."

Some players have been swallowed up by the Pirates' 16-year run of losing, the contstant turnover among players and management and all of the empty seats at PNC Park.

Yet, Wilson refuses to crumble. He is the joie de vivre of the clubhouse, always quick with a grin. But, until now, he has never fully explained why.

"I choose to live positively," Wilson said. "I went through a lot of tragic stuff early in my life that kind of transformed me into being a positive person."

When he was between the ages of 9-18, Wilson had to deal with the sudden deaths of four cousins, all of whom were younger than 22. Also, an uncle died after a long illness.

"I didn't understand. I was a kid," Wilson said. "You ask, why them? What did they do? You question things."

Afraid of the answers, and angry when confronted with the questions, Wilson went into a shell. He admits he was "a terrible kid" in his later teen years, using sports as an escape and avoiding his family.

"Meeting my wife and finding Jesus is what turned me around," Wilson said.

By 2003, Wilson was in his third season with the Pirates. But, he said, he still was letting the ups and downs of baseball affect his family life.

Wilson's wife, Julie, comes from a devoutly Christian family. They were not thrilled by his me-first attitude, but they did not push him away. Slowly, they won him over.

Wilson was baptized before the 2004 season. It may not be a coincidence that he put up career-best stats that year and was the Pirates' All-Star rep.

Because of his sports celebrity status, Wilson sometimes is uncomfortable doing a testimony -- publicly describing how his faith changed his life -- at church gatherings.

"I'll listen to other people and think, 'Wow, I didn't have it as bad as him,' " Wilson said. "You really have to feed off knowing that every day is special. No matter what your situation is, it's not nearly as bad as someone else's."

Wilson has tried to be an example to others who have gone through childhood trauma.

"I try to really enjoy life, because it's a gift," Wilson said. "I like playing in Pittsburgh. I like the fans. I like the area where I'm raising my children. Those things are what I see when I look back at my eight years here. You can choose to be miserable and focus on the losing, focus on the negative things that happen. But that's not the way I want to live."

Sunday's home finale may have been Wilson's farewell at PNC Park. He began the day with a game of checkers against good friend Freddy Sanchez.

The crowd gave Wilson a long standing ovation when he was announced as a pinch-hitter in the fifth inning. He singled to left field, sparking even louder cheers.

"The best moment of my career," Wilson said.

If Wilson is traded this winter, it won't be because his skills have eroded. He's batting .274, although his power numbers (one home run, 18 doubles) were dragged down by his injuries.

This season, Wilson's zone rating -- the percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive zone -- is .850. His glovework has been better than that of Derek Jeter, Jose Reyes, Stephen Drew, Edgar Renteria, J.J. Hardy, Jhonny Peralta, Michael Young, Hanley Ramirez and Troy Tulowitzky.

"What Jack does on the field gets overlooked a lot," Pirates first baseman Adam LaRoche said. "I've played with (Rafael) Furcal and Renteria, and I think Jack's the best shorstop I've ever played with.

"He's got range, he's got an arm; he's just got a knack and a feel for the game. He quietly saves a lot of runs over there. If he does (go), it will be really tough to replace him -- really tough."

Rob Biertempfel can be reached at rbiertempfel@tribweb.com or 412-320-7811.

Holding it down

Most games played at shortstop for the Pirates:

Player, Years with Pirates, Games

1. Honus Wagner (1900-17) - 1,887
2. Arky Vaughn (1932-41) - 1,381
3. Dick Groat (1952, 1955-62) - 1,242
4. Jay Bell (1989-96) - 1,103
5. Jack Wilson (2001-present) - 1,054
6. Gene Alley (1963-73) - 977

No comments: