Saturday, April 25, 2009

Steelers take Mizzou DT with first pick

By Kevin Gorman, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/
Saturday, April 25, 2009

Evander "Ziggy" Hood was so stunned at being selected with the final pick of the first round by the Steelers that the 6-foot-3, 300-pound defensive lineman from Missouri "almost fainted."

"I couldn't describe the feeling," Hood said in a teleconference call with reporters. "My stomach just tightened up. I choked. I almost fainted. ... When my name popped up, I almost dropped the phone."

Hood was chosen with the 32nd pick of the first round in a move that allows the Super Bowl XLIII champion Steelers to get younger on their defensive line, where all three starters are in their 30s.

"I feel excited, especially to be part of a Super Bowl team, just to be part of what's known as the Steel Curtain," Hood said. "It's a real honor."

Although Hood played defensive tackle in Missouri's 4-3 scheme, had 10 sacks and 15 tackles for losses in his final two seasons at Missouri and could play end in the Steelers' 3-4 defense. Steelers right defensive end Brett Keisel is going into the final year of his contract.

"There were no problems for me playing the five-technique," Hood said. "I have no problems adjusting and doing whatever it takes."

The Steelers have eight more picks in the draft with an extra selection in each the fifth and seventh rounds. The first two rounds will be held today while in rounds three through seven will be made tomorrow.

1 comment:

outkast024 said...

Good day for Pittsburgh! PENS win, Steelers get a great pick, and the Pirates crush SD.
By the way, I'm trying to find out if more fans prefer ESPN or NFL Network for coverage. Check educlaytion.wordpress.com if you want to weigh in on the debate.