Thursday, March 11, 2010

Crosby defends saying no to Letterman

Thursday, March 11, 2010
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/

Responding to a topic that has grown legs on the Internet, Penguins center Sidney Crosby talked about his decision to decline an invitation last week to present the Top Ten List on the "Late Show with David Letterman."

He pointed to a packed schedule that week coming off his golden moment at the Olympics in Vancouver, including March 3, when the Penguins flew to New York for a game the next night against the Rangers and where Letterman tapes his show.


Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

Penguins captain Sidney Crosby.


"I do my best. That's all I can do," Crosby said Wednesday after the Penguins practiced at Southpointe. "It's not the first year I've dealt with balancing everything. I've had that responsibility for a long time, and I think anybody who knows me well knows I take that seriously. I do my best with it.

"Everyone's not always going to be happy, but I do my best, and I do what I think is right, and I'll continue to do that. There's really nothing I can do if people disagree with that."

Crosby, considered the face of the NHL, has received some criticism for declining, and the New York Post reported that the NHL was "miffed" at the lost chance for publicity for the league. An NHL spokesman has disputed that, praising Crosby's cooperation in media and promotional endeavors.

"Before anybody should weigh criticism, I would ask them to walk a week in his shoes and see how many times they say 'yes' and they say 'no' to what he does," Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said.

"The demands on his time -- inside our [locker] room and our organization, to our city, to outside our city when we go other places -- is extraordinary."

The Penguins will be back in the New York area twice in the coming week for games against the New Jersey Devils, but Crosby has a good reason for not rescheduling a Letterman appearance then.

"I haven't been asked," he said.

Guerin ready for return

Winger Bill Guerin, who missed the past three games because of back spasms, practiced and sounded as if he fully expects to play tonight at Carolina.

"I feel great. I'm good to go," he said. "It's one of those things with spasms, it's a muscular situation and it just needs a couple of days to settle down."

Crosby's equipment found

The missing equipment Crosby used to score Canada's overtime goal in the Olympic gold-medal game is on its way back to him after it apparently was mispacked, not stolen.

One of his gloves was found by Boston's Patrice Bergeron after it apparently was mistakenly packed with Bruins equipment. The other glove and his stick were found among a shipment of equipment in Toronto that was headed to the International Ice Hockey Federation Hall of Fame in Russia.

Crosby had said he wanted the items returned. Reebok Canada had offered a $10,000 reward for them.

"I'm grateful to everyone who took the time and effort to get my equipment back for me," Crosby said in a statement. "These items are irreplaceable, and I'm happy to have them back."

It will be up to Crosby to decide what he will do with them. He said he might donate some or all of the pieces to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Tip-ins

Winger Eric Godard again skated before practice. His groin was seriously injured Jan. 25, and he has missed 12 games. ... Carolina winger Erik Cole was scratched for the Hurricanes' game Wednesday night at Washington. There was no indication about his status for tonight.


Shelly Anderson: shanderson@post-gazette.com.

No comments: