Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Ed Bouchette: Ward, Steelers Share Emotions In Meeting


Ward, Steelers share emotions in meeting after crushing defeat
Tuesday, January 25, 2005
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

More Steelers coverage:
Last run for the Bus? He's not certain
All through Steelers Nation, the pain of Sunday's loss continues
Steelers Notebook: Holes to fill

Hines Ward cried yesterday. Tears flowed freely down the cheeks of the Steelers' tough wide receiver as he tried to describe what it meant to lose a big game and watch a Super Bowl opportunity possibly forever slip the grasp of Jerome Bettis and others.

The Steelers held an emotional meeting yesterday morning, 13 hours after their 41-27 loss to New England in the AFC championship game at Heinz Field. Bettis addressed the group, just in case this was his last chance to do so with these teammates.

"It was very emotional," Ward said, halting to regain his composure or to wipe away a tear. "He got up and said how much he enjoyed playing with everybody. I don't know what he is going to do. We had a chance to do something special and we fell short this year."

Ward's reaction in front of two-dozen members of the news media was evidence how much this latest failure in an AFC championship game at home disheartened the Steelers.
"Everybody was crying," Ward said. "That's how bad it hurts. I felt sorry for [Bettis] because I have learned so much from the guy. He's already a champion to me regardless if he ever played in the Super Bowl or not. I learned so much from him."

After 12 NFL seasons, nine with the Steelers, Bettis has not decided if he will retire or return next season.

"I just told the guys that if, in fact, this is the last opportunity for me to be with you guys it was a great experience and I just want to thank everybody for the memories," Bettis said. "If you do decide this is the end of the road you don't want to have any regrets in saying that I didn't have the opportunity to speak to the guys."

Ward was composed when he addressed the media Sunday night after the loss to the Patriots, but he could not hold back the tears yesterday.

"Just today, sitting in the meetings [with] some of the older guys that don't get a chance, may never get a chance to play football again, it's disappointing for those guys, guys like Jerome Bettis, he has done so much for me as a player. It hurt. It hurts."

After the meeting at which others spoke and many cried, only three players were found willing to talk to the assembled media.

"It was pretty emotional," center Jeff Hartings said, "and I think it's probably pretty uncommon for that kind of thing to happen at the end of a season like this and I think it says a lot about this team. ... We just thoroughly enjoyed playing football.

"We honestly love each other. It's definitely the tightest team I have ever been on. It's a privilege to play with them. I kind of felt at the end that I would rather lose a game like that with this team than win a Super Bowl with a team I didn't even enjoy playing with."

The Steelers, picked by most to finish third in the AFC North Division after a 6-10 record in 2003, survived numerous injuries to starters and rallied around a rookie quarterback to compile their best record in team history, 15-1. In the end, though, they were once again denied a spot in the Super Bowl, which they most recently won 25 years ago this month.

"We all failed," Bettis said. "I didn't deserve it more than the next guy. I just let the guys know that, hey, it was a heck of a ride, we fell short. ... You win for your teammates and I was a teammate. It was special what [Ward] said but I don't think you have to win one for me."
Bettis, though, said he, too, was moved after the response by Ward and others.

"It goes further than football. It made me appreciate those guys a lot more for that. ... For some of the guys in there it is going to be our last opportunity, regardless if I come back or not. It's a last opportunity to talk to and thank the guys for playing 110 percent. As a leader on the football team, you have to thank everybody for the effort they put in.

"This is the closest team I've ever been on. It truly felt like a family. That's why I wanted to share a moment with those guys because I really appreciate them. They've been very inspirational to me. They've meant a lot to me. Just to share some thoughts with them, I thought was important."

Click here for more National Football League news and stats.

(Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com or 412-263-3878.)

No comments: