Saturday, February 18, 2006

Spring Training: Jack is back, and bigger than ever

Wilson reports to camp with 20 pounds of muscle
Saturday, February 18, 2006
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Related articles
Pirates Notebook: Another setback for Van Benschoten

BRADENTON, Fla. -- This spring, Jack Wilson has traded feeling sick for getting thick.

The Pirates' shortstop raised eyebrows around the team's training complex yesterday after reporting nearly 20 pounds heavier than his previous playing weight, with every fiber of that being hard muscle that was hard won.

"A whole 205 pounds," Wilson said, beaming. "Everything definitely feels different."

He spent all but two weeks of the past four months engaged in an unprecedented, grueling conditioning regimen that covered five days a week, three hours a day. A personal trainer and old friend, Trevor Tom of Pepperdine University, came to his home in Camarillo, Calif., daily to provide instruction and motivation.

Or, as Wilson put it, "The dude kicked the crap out of me."

Wilson's primary goal was to avoid losing as much weight over the course of the long season as he has in the past, often up to 20 pounds. His primary motivation, though, was recalling how much better he always has hit when he is at or close to peak strength.

"It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out you're going to do better when you're feeling better," he said. "And I think my career has shown that."

It certainly showed last year, though not for the better.

When Wilson reported for spring training last season, he was less than two months removed from an emergency appendectomy that caused him to drop from 193 pounds to 172. He reported to Bradenton wiry and weak, was held out of exhibitions and performed poorly at the plate once he resumed playing.

Because of his weakness, his swing usually was late, the contact soft. That lingered deep into the season, and the result was a seemingly endless string of meek grounders to the right side and a .199 average through May 29. It took two solid closing months -- .267 in August and .350 in September -- to boost his average to .257.

"I wouldn't say it was the appendectomy itself, but not getting my strength back for such a long time," Wilson said. "Those numbers speak for themselves. But you know what? I still had a job to do in going out there and playing good defense."

Wilson reported to camp this year four days before position players are due, which is unusual for someone so entrenched at his position. To hear him tell it, though, he will be in a battle this spring almost as much as some players on the bubble.

"They want me to be the No. 2 hitter in the lineup, and I want to prove I can do it," Wilson said. "That's my battle. That's how I'm looking at it."

Manager Jim Tracy has had several conversations with Wilson this offseason, including a lunch in California two weeks ago, in which he has detailed his goals and expectations for Wilson in batting behind leadoff man Chris Duffy.

"Jack needs to be able to do the right things, the little things to keep Duffy moving on the basepaths," Tracy said. "That might be a grounder to the right side. It might be a bunt. It might be a hit. Jack knows what I expect from him and how important I feel that job is. And I see Jack as someone who can do very, very well in that role."

There is evidence to support that. Over the past three seasons, Wilson has a .275 overall average, but has hit .286 when batting second. In his All-Star year, 2004, he batted .308 with 201 hits, almost all at No. 2. He also has shown an ability to bunt, his 11 sacrifices last year topping the Pirates.

But his on-base percentage, a key figure for top-of-the-order types, always has been modest relative to his average, mostly because of low walk totals. His on-base percentage was .299 last year, .335 in his All-Star year. His walks were up slightly last season, but he still averaged only one every 21 at-bats.

Wilson is optimistic he can do what Tracy is seeking.

"I love doing it, being in that spot. I'm the type of guy where I don't care how many hits I get. If I have to hit a grounder to move the runner up 100 times, I'll take it."

He might show a bit more bop than in the past, given his new bulk, although he does not sound as if he will make that a priority.

"I just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of myself and not letting my performance slip. Last year, I didn't have a chance to use my offseason to get in shape. This year, that's not the case. I'm ready to go."

(Dejan Kovacevic can be reached at dkovacevic@post-gazette.com.)

No comments: