Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Porter angling to stay with Steelers


By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Bill Cowher and outside linebacker Joey Porter are closer than your typical coach and player.

When Porter addressed the possibility of holding out prior to the season because he wanted to renegotiate his contract, Cowher begged him to report to training camp because he needed his fiery leadership.

Against his better wishes, Porter complied because of his tremendous respect for Cowher.
In the opener against Miami, Porter kissed Cowher on the sideline after returning an interception for a touchdown.

Following Sunday's 23-17 overtime win over Cincinnati, Porter put his relationship with Cowher to the test when he asked Cowher in the locker room if he was leaving.

Even if Cowher leaves after 15 seasons, Porter, 29, insists he wants to finish his career with the team that drafted him. He said it's wrong to assume he doesn't want to remain with the Steelers if Cowher isn't around.

"No matter who the coach is, I play for the Steelers. I'm the type of player I want to start what I finish," Porter said immediately after the game. "I started here, I want to finish here. Give me the opportunity to be a lifelong Steeler."

Following Monday's exit interview with Cowher, Porter re-emphasized his loyalty to the Steelers. He said he doesn't know whether Cowher is coming back, but that Cowher's decision won't impact what he does.

Porter feels like he's done his part. His sack total dipped from 10 1/2 a year ago, when he led all NFL linebackers, to seven, which led the Steelers during a season in which they missed the playoffs after winning Super Bowl XL.

Porter recorded two more tackles this season (63-61) and continued his role as the team's emotional leader.

"At the end of the day, it's going to be up to the organization. I'm here," said Porter, who ranks fourth on the Steelers' all-time list with 60 career sacks. "At the beginning of the season, everyone wants to know, 'Oh, why does he have such a bad attitude?'

"I've never had an attitude toward the Steelers. This is home for me. I knew how it was going to be when I got back, I was going to resume my position as a leader and try to win football games."

Said safety Ryan Clark: "Joey's going to run the team. We're fine with that. He has muscles."

But if Cowher leaves, will the new coach want Porter to assume the same role he had under Cowher? And, if the new coach goes in a different direction, will Porter's role be diminished?

Also, coming off an 8-8 season, will the fiscally conservative Steelers be willing to pay Porter more than $6.1 million in 2007 in the final year of his contract -- making him one of the team's highest-paid players -- or will he be asked to renegotiate his contract, or even be forced to take a pay cut if he wants to remain with the Steelers?

"It is a business, and just like everybody else I've got to make the right business move for my family," Porter said. "It's something that comes with the business, and if you have an opportunity which I feel like you should have, what's the difference of making me wait another year? If I mean that much to you, like I think I should, go ahead and take care of me, make it happen."

Porter's contract situation could develop into one of the biggest stories in the offseason.

Offensive tackle Max Starks, a restricted free agent, is the only player whom the Steelers have to tender an offer or risk losing without receiving compensation.

Remember, the Steelers aren't obligated to address Porter's contract until after next season.
Unless redoing Porter's deal is beneficial to everyone.

After speaking with Cowher yesterday, Porter compared his contract situation with that of his coach. Porter didn't say whether he discussed his contract with Cowher.

"That's like coach Cowher's decision," Porter said. "I can't give you that answer right now. I don't know when, but that time will come. Until it comes, my address isn't going to change. I'm going to be where I'm supposed to be. I'm not going nowhere."

Given what happened last year prior to training camp -- especially if Cowher doesn't return for a 16th season with Porter as his team leader -- Porter's uncertain contract future with the Steelers could test his loyalty and management's patience.

John Harris is a sports writer for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. He can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com

No comments: