Saturday, January 31, 2009

UNC's Parker finds a home with Steelers

Running back had a rocky career at North Carolina.

By Charles Chandler
cchandler@charlotteobserver.com
http://www.charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Friday, Jan. 30, 2009

The Steelers are 6-0 in the postseason when running back Willie Parker is in the starting lineup. DOUG BENC – GETTY IMAGES


TAMPA, Fla.

As difficult as it was to endure a lot of bench time in college at North Carolina and getting overlooked in the NFL draft, Willie Parker says he doesn't wish for a different career path.

“If I could turn back the hands of time, I wouldn't want to change anything,” said Parker, the Pittsburgh Steelers' running back who is preparing to play in his second Super Bowl in four years.

“I went to two Pro Bowls. This is my second Super Bowl. What if I did get drafted? It probably wouldn't be this way. I would probably be with a different group of guys, but I'm glad I'm with (these) guys.”

Parker is one of the keys to the Steelers' chances Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals.

He already holds the record for the longest touchdown run in Super Bowl history – a 75-yarder three years ago in a win againstSeattle.

“After you break a record, coming from where I came from, it changes a lot of stuff,” said Parker. “People started to notice me a little more.”

Parker is enjoying a strong end to a frustrating season. He missed five games with injuries and was held under 1,000 yards (791) for the first time since he was rookie in 2004.

He said he wasn't completely healed until the regular-season finale, when he rushed for 118 yards against Cleveland.

He followed that with a 146-yard, two-touchdown performance against San Diego in the playoffs.
“I feel great right now,” he said. “What more can you ask for? I prayed all throughout the season when I was banged up that one day I would get back to being myself, and get back to 100 percent … and God blessed me with it.”

The Steelers are 6-0 in playoff games with Parker in the starting lineup. He was on injured reserve last season when they lost a first-round game to Jacksonville.

“I'm around a great group of guys. It's not all about me,” he said. “Every time we lose, whether I'm a part of it or not, I take the defeat, too.”

Parker has rushed for 4,999 yards in five pro seasons, which virtually no one would have expected after his disappointing college career.

As a freshman in 2000, he was second on the Tar Heels team with 355 yards rushing, but struggled for playing time after John Bunting replaced Carl Torbush as coach.

He ran for 400 yards as a sophomore, but his yardage declined in each of his final two seasons, bottoming out at 181 as a senior in 2003.

Parker has admitted to not getting along with Bunting and the North Carolina coaches, but he doesn't put all the blame on them.

“I'm not going to say they missed out on me because it goes both ways,” he said. “It wasn't just the coaches. It was me and the coaches. We were feuding. We both missed out on each other.”

However, Parker said doesn't regret communicating his disappointment.

“I'm glad I voiced my opinion,” he said. “I'll voice my opinion now, too, if I feel something is not right.

“You only live once. You can't let your time pass by. When I was at UNC, I wanted to be the running back. It kind of passed me by.”

Parker said his enthusiasm about the Tar Heels' football program has been “rejuvenated” the past two years since Butch Davis took over for Bunting as coach. Parker said he began returning to North Carolina to work out with other players at school facilities.

“It's a new era,” he said.

Parker's interview session with reporters Thursday was interrupted when Steelers backup quarterback Charlie Batch approached with a video camera, asking questions.

Parker likes to play the Madden video football game and sometimes acts as the Steelers coach. Batch wanted to know if Parker takes himself out of the lineup in goal-line situations.

No, Parker replied, explaining that he never gets in goal-line situations because he always makes long runs for touchdowns.

“Selfish,” joked Batch.

Actually, Parker was plenty generous the last time he played in the Super Bowl, giving his championship ring to his father.

On Sunday, he'll try to earn another.

“That would be real big for me,” he said.