Sunday, August 23, 2009

On the Pirates: Open letter from Jack Wilson

'No matter how bad it was, the people in Pittsburgh cared for me'

Sunday, August 23, 2009
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/



Post-Gazette

Rookie shortstop Jack Wilson, then 23, posed for a Post-Gazette photographer on top of the Pirates' dugout at PNC Park in April 2001 -- his first month in the major leagues.

Jack Wilson, spending the weekend in Cleveland with the Seattle Mariners, submitted this open letter to the baseball fans of Pittsburgh through the Post-Gazette ...


In January 2001, my wife Julie and I boarded a plane from Los Angeles to Pittsburgh to attend our first PirateFest. We landed in the afternoon, and it was then that I knew our lives never would be the same: It was 5 degrees and snowing, and Julie and I were wearing shorts. Classic Californians on their first winter trip to the East Coast.

Being the new guy in town, I was unrecognizable and able to really enjoy observing the fans and how much they loved their Pirates, from the jerseys, hats, T-shirts, banners ... everyone had something. I became really excited to be joining the Pirates' family. This city with the storied history of champions like Maz, Roberto and Willie was going to be my new home.

Nine seasons, three kids and 26 double-play partners later, my time in Pittsburgh has come to an end. I think back over the years and feel extremely proud of my time there. Regardless of the team's record or statistics, I put on the Pirates jersey every day with pride, alongside players I was honored to call teammates. Players who never gave up on any game, from 1 to 162, no matter where we were in the standings. As a veteran, there is no greater thrill than watching young teammates become major leaguers, guys like Freddy Sanchez, Nate McLouth, Ryan Doumit, Paul Maholm, Zach Duke, Matt Capps, Andrew McCutchen and so many more. I am so very proud of them and wish them the absolute best.

There are no words for me to describe how much you, the fans of Pittsburgh, have meant to me and my family. I went through many ups and downs in my career there, and you were always there for me. At the stadium, in the restaurants, gas stations, you name it. I don't think there ever will be a moment like the last game of the 2008 season at PNC Park. The standing O I received that day will be the most cherished memory of my career. No matter how bad it was, the people in Pittsburgh cared for me and my family, and that is extremely special. On behalf of Julie, Jacob, Jaidyn and Jersi, thank you. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you!

No matter where God leads me next, I will always be a Pittsburgher. Go Bucs!

God bless.

Jack Wilson

No comments: